Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Day Fifteen - One full day to go

Today has been quite quiet. Unlike the night in which the wind blew hard; and I mean hard. The hilton was shaking and I did wonder whether when I got up, I would have same view out of the window that I had when I went to bed!

It has drizzled with rain all day but we do have some very good news: the sky is clear at Keops and so tonight we will run the DAEA experiment for UCL. Andrew managed to barter with Mike Rietveld and Brett Isham for some time since they had first priority.

Apart from that there is little to report. We went to the local shop again and were served by the jolly man this time. He said some things to us in Norwegian even though we are sure he knows that we are ignorant English. He seemed very happy as per usual. Of course, he could be tossing terribly obscene insults at us and we would never know...

Early start tomorrow. It is still forecast to be piddling down with rain but we have one last chance to get to ARIES and make some repairs. We shall see what we can manage. After that I have to ensure that I get a copy of the Heater log so as to ensure that my expectations of what was on and what was off match up with reality. We have no facility for transferring data with us and so we rely in RAL to do that for us. I think next time we should bring a hard drive to grab data and potential analysis that we do on site. No time for analysis tomorrow with our field trip, but we are well set up to make a start when we get back to the UK (after some time off maybe?). We will also run the radar tomorrow night, once again for DAEA I think. Then there is also the matter of dismantling the photometer and cameras and putting the hut back as it was. This can be done in stages since once we know that DROP is over with, we can take down Sparkle and pack it up for transport.

Todd had some good news about his camera. He can potentially fix the instrument in Oslo and then ship it back up to Svalbard ready for the season. This is very good because so far the guy has endured rain, broken equipment and 6 hours of hand cranking an instrument to enable good data recordings.

Tomorrow is my 3rd wedding anniversary. The second where I have been away from Emma in service to Comms. Systems at Lancaster University. How is that for devotion??? Now, when is a good time to start talking about a pay rise?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home